Soaps, reality shows, comedies hog prime time TV slot (2010 in Retrospect)By Arpana, IANS
Monday, December 27, 2010
NEW DELHI - The small screen was one potpouri of entertainment - from soaps to reality shows, TV channels offered a variety of shows and audiences didn’t stick to any one genre. From tearjerkers like “Uttran” to controversial reality show “Bigg Boss” to light-hearted comedy “Tarak Mehta Ka Oolta Show”, they lapped up everything that guaranteed recreation.
IANS lists top shows on popular channels that got maximum eyeballs in 2010:
- “Uttran”: The story of friendship, love, jealousy and revenge on Colors got the maximum eyeballs as the plot thickened with Tapasya, a conniving rich spoilt brat, being exposed by her husband Vir Bundela and thrown out of the house. Tapasya’s hatred for her childhood friend Ichcha hit the roof when Vir secretly married her. Their wedding is a major blow to Tapasya’s ego and she is hell bent on ruining their married life.
- “Na Aana Iss Des Laado”: Another female centric saga highlighting atrocities towards girl child by Colors got maximum TRPs. Based in a village, the show focuses on prejudices against the girl child and how women are exploited and mistreated in the name of tradition.
- “Bigg Boss 4″: Colors hit bull’s eye with the controversial reality show “Bigg Boss 4″. The beginning was slow, but ever since loud mouth Dolly Bindra entered the house and picked up fights with Shweta Tiwari, the show’s TRP went up and up. In fact, Dolly’s screaming and shouting reached the ears of the information and broadcasting ministry, which asked the channel to shift it to the late night slot for being vulgar. Later the intimacy between Pakistani actress Veena Malik and Bollywood actor Ashmit Patel helped in luring viewers.
- “Kaun Banega Croreparti (KBC) 2010″: Sony TV had TRPs soaring with the fourth season of the game show that marked the return of original host Amitabh Bachchan. The megastar connected immediately with the fans thanks to his humility and humour while interacting with participants who came from small towns to try their luck in winning the prize money of Rs.50 million. None could get it, but 27-year-old homemaker Rahat Tasleem from Jharkhand surprised everyone by winning Rs.10 miillion. Her zeal and knowledge set an example for viewers who became all the more fascinated with the show.
- “Dance India Dance (Season II)” and “Dance India Dance Little Masters”:
Zee TV, which pioneered the satellite channels trend in the country, scored high with two dance reality shows - the season two of “Dance India Dance” (Season II) and “Dance India Dance Little Masters”. The electrifying performances kept the audiences hooked to the small screen.
- “Pavitra Rishta”: Zee TV had another winner in the form of its daily soap “Pavitra Rishta” that revolves around Manav (Sushant Singh Rajput) and Archana (Ankita Lokhande) and their relationship. The on-screen chemistry of Sushant and Ankita is such that people are drawn to the show.
- “Sasural Genda Phool”: STAR Plus that introduced saas-bahu sagas on the small screen took a different route this year with “Sasural Genda Phool”. The sweet and simple story of a rich and modern girl Suhana (Ragini Khanna) who ends up marrying a middle-class boy Ishaan (Jay Soni) came as a respite for the audiences. Suhana’s journey into a new life and her honest efforts to adjust with her husband’s conservative family not only won the hearts of the audiences but also boosted the TRPs.
- “MasterChef India”: The cookery show was another master stroke by STAR Plus. Hosted by Bollywood star Akshay Kumar, the kitchen drama saw cooks from various parts of the country preparing the best recipes in limited time to win the chef’s cap. Lucknow’s Pankaj Bhadouria’s culinary expertise helped her win the Rs.10 million prize money in the finale.
- “Tarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah”: Known for making comedy shows, Sab TV continued to tickle the funny bones of viewers with “Tarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah”. The show is still going strong thanks to the antics of Jethalal and his wife Daya.
- “Rahul Dhulaniya Le Jaayega”: For Imagine TV, reality show “Rahul Dhulaniya Le Jaayega” spelled magic and at the end of the year the channel made it big with a unique show called “Baba Aiso Var Dhoondo”, which tells the story of a dwarf girl and her parents’ quest to find a life partner for her.
(Arpana can be contacted at email@example.com)
Tags: Akshay Kumar, Amitabh Bachchan, Ashmit Patel, New Delhi, Showbiz