James Franco in ‘The Bourne Legacy’?By IANS
Monday, November 8, 2010
LONDON - Hollywood actor James Franco has been approached by director Tony Gilroy to star in “The Bourne Legacy”.
Franco is being pursued by Gilroy to act in the movie, which is the fourth in the “Bourne” franchise. This is the first in the franchise that will not feature Matt Damon as lead character Jason Bourne, reports contactmusic.com.
Gilroy has previously confessed he couldn’t “replace” Damon.
He said: “I couldn’t imagine trying to replace him. All the conspiratorial politics aside, these are very un-cynical, honest movies, and I don’t know another actor who brings more integrity and dignity, and a lack of cynicism to his work than Matt.”
“This is not a reboot or a recast or a prequel. No one’s replacing Matt Damon. There will be a whole new hero, a whole new chapter… this is a stand-alone project,” he added.
Damon has played secret agent Bourne in three films, but sparked rumours that he will also quit the franchise if director Paul Greengrass quits. The actor insisted he would not return to the role unless his friend was in charge.
However, he said he was shocked to hear that he will not star in the next movie because movie bosses had not informed him.
Franco, 32, will next be seen in “Planet of the Apes” prequel “Rise of the Apes” alongside Andy Serkis, Tom Felton and Freida Pinto.