Winfrey named most charitable celebrityBy IANS
Sunday, December 12, 2010
LOS ANGELES - Talk show queen Oprah Winfrey has topped the list of most charitable celebrities — for the third time.
Winfrey is said to have donated more than $41 million through her Oprah Winfrey Foundation, which helps those in need of education. It also has programmes for women and children.
The second place went to novelist Nora Roberts, who gave away $4.45 million to her organisation supporting literacy, children’s programmes and other humanitarian efforts.
She was followed by Meryl Streep and her husband Donald J. Gummer. They donated $4 million to the Silver Mountain Foundation for the Arts.
The list was compiled by The Giving Back Fund, reports acshowbiz.com.
“There are many generous celebrities, but when you can top a list of celebrity philanthropists three out of four years, as Oprah has, that is saying something,” said Marc Pollick, president of the Fund.
American actress Jami Gertz and baseball player Lance Berkman and his wife Cara Berkman wrapped up the other top five slots with $2.9 million and $2.1 million of donations respectively.
The top 10 charitable celebrities are:
1. Oprah Winfrey - $41 million
2. Nora Roberts - $4.45 million
3. Meryl Streep-Donald J. Gummer - $4 million
4. Jami Gertz-Tony Ressler - $2.9 million
5. Lance Berkman-Cara Berkman - $2.1 million
6. Charles Woodson - $2 million
7. Madieu Williams - $2 million
8. Alec Baldwin - $1.6 million
9. Barbra Streisand - $1.4 million
10.Oscar de la Hoya - $1.3 million