Morning after: Balloon boy gets sick _ twice _ during national TV interviews

By P. Solomon Banda, AP
Friday, October 16, 2009

Morning after: Balloon boy gets sick twice on TV

FORT COLLINS, Colo. — The father of a 6-year-old boy who was thought to be in a helium balloon that floated away said Friday accusations that the ordeal was a publicity stunt are “extremely pathetic.” The sheriff said he will be asking more questions.

Richard Heene and his family made the rounds on all three television networks on Friday, and the boy at the center of the saga got sick twice when he and his father were asked during separate interviews what he meant when he said that “we did this for a show.”

Falcon Heene vanished around the time his family’s homemade helium balloon floated away from their home on Thursday, setting off a national uproar as authorities scoured the plains of northern Colorado for the youngster. Turns out, he was hiding in the rafters of the family’s garage.

During a live interview with CNN Thursday night, Falcon said he had heard his family calling his name but didn’t come out of the attic hiding place because his father “had said that we did this for a show.” The boys’ parents — Richard and Mayumi Heene — are storm chasers who appeared twice in the ABC reality show “Wife Swap.”

During an ABC interview on Friday Falcon was asked why he said he was hiding “for a show,” at which point he said: “Mom, I feel like I’m going to vomit.” He then left the room with his mother and could be heard gagging.

During a live interview on NBC’s “Today” that aired simultaneously, Falcon threw up into a container when his father was answering the same question.

Richard Heene lambasted speculation that the ordeal was a hoax.

“I went through such a roller coaster of emotions yesterday, to have people say that, I think, is extremely pathetic,” he told ABC.

“I’m not selling anything. This is what we do all the time.”

But some people who know the family raised questions about the incident, and Sheriff Jim Alderden said Friday that while his investigators don’t believe there was a hoax, they’ll seek a new interview with the family to clarify the boy’s statement to CNN.

Alderden told KUSA-TV in Denver on Friday that he didn’t know what to make of Falcon’s comments, but pointed out they came after hours of dealing with media questions. Alderden said investigators, trained to look at body language and verbal communication for signs of deception, were at the Heene home during the whole ordeal and believe they were telling the truth.

Barb Slusser of Fort Collins worked with Richard Heene on a show called, “The Science Detectives,” which Heene described on his MySpace page as a documentary series “to investigate the mysteries of science.” She said she stopped working with him after becoming concerned about his off-the-wall antics and attempts to get media attention for the program

While Adams stops short of calling Thursday’s balloon odyssey a hoax, she said she wouldn’t rule it out.

“Basically, what I’m saying, knowing Richard, there’s always a possibility that this was done for publicity,” she said.

It was five hours from the time the oldest of three sons reported that Falcon, the youngest, had climbed into a saucer-shaped balloon that had drifted off, setting off a search that included military helicopters and a plan to either lower a person to the craft or place weights on the balloon to bring it down. Officials rerouted planes around the balloon’s flight path and briefly shut down Denver International Airport.

Heene said the family was tinkering with the balloon Thursday and that he scolded Falcon for getting inside a compartment on the craft. It was designed to hover about 50 to 100 feet from the ground but it broke loose from its tether.

The family videotaped the episode. In a segment shown on national TV, the father kicked the ground when the balloon took off.

One of Falcon’s two brothers said he had seen him inside the compartment before it took off and that’s why they thought he was in there when it launched. But the boy had gone to the garage rafters at some point and was never in the balloon during its two-hour, 50-mile journey through two counties.

“I was in the attic and he scared me because he yelled at me,” Falcon said, referring to his father. “That’s why I went in the attic.”

Headshot photographer Carrie Cavalier, 53, of Burbank, Calif., paints a picture of a man with big ideas who lived in chaos.

She did headshots for Heene, an aspiring actor at the time, and said the Heene family rented a one-story Burbank house from her from June 2006 until June 2007. But when she evicted them because they hadn’t paid a security deposit and let the house deteriorate, they picked up and left without notice, leaving behind a home in disarray, she said.

“Mostly, the whole house was infested with cockroaches. There was dog poop all over the backyard,” she said.

Cavalier said she was spooked by Richard Heene.

“He was pretty much controlling them and involving them in all the activities he did,” she said of Heene and his children.


October 16, 2009: 8:48 am

It seems implausible to believe the family actually say one of the children video taped the 6 year old child getting into that jiffy pop balloon contraption with a supposed cardboard bottom and he could somehow be able to secure himself inside of it?? If the boy’s weight is between 40-45 lbs.and the speed of the balloon is traveling @ approximately 25 miles per hr in a 2 hour span at an elevation exceeding 500′ in the air and it finally lands around 50 miles from the home the scientist father logically explain exactly how he woud believe his son could have been inside of it? It truly defys logic and sounds like a publicity stunt or hoax of some sort. It is most unfortunate for parents to involve small children in dangerous activities, such as storm chasing, mommie swapping and bogus balloon mischief.

will not be displayed